- In a small saucepan combine amaretto, water, sugar, and salt. Heat, stirring constantly, until streaming. Take off heat and stir in chocolate until melted and sauce is smooth. Stir in butter until melted. Set aside at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Butter 10 standard muffin cups. Sprinkle inside of cups with sugar. Shake pan to coat insides of muffin cups with sugar, then turn upside down and shake out excess.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, gently melt butter and chocolate, stirring frequently, until smooth. Whisk in cocoa powder, flour, amaretto, salt, and almond extract until smooth. Whisk in egg yolks.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold ⅓ of egg whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full with chocolate mixture. Bake until cakes appear set on top but are still gooey in center, 5-6 minutes. Let sit 2-3 minutes or until cakes shrink slightly from sides of pan. Place a piece of parchment paper over muffin tin, then place an inverted sheet pan on top. Carefully flip everything over, and allow cakes to gently drop out of muffin tin.
- Use a metal spatula to transfer cakes to serving plates, and top with chocolate sauce and ice cream. Serve immediately.
- Any leftover chocolate sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 month.