- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium size sauce pan with low heat, pour 1 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon water.
- Melt sugar slowly until it becomes a syrupy gold color. (Alternatively, you can place in glass bowl and microwave in 15 second intervals until golden brown.)
- Pour sugar into 9″ baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Mix all other ingredients in blender well, then pour into baking pan containing the caramelized sugar.
- Place baking pan into “water-bath” (Bain-Marie) pan. Place into oven for 60-75 minutes. You may try the “toothpick test’’ before removing.
- After removing, let cool for about 90 minutes before placing in refrigerator.
- Place in refrigerator for about 2 to 4 hours to chill.
- Remove from refrigerator. With a knife or sharp utensil detach edges from pan.
- Invert flan onto larger plate.
Developed by: Ernie Serano