- Preheat oven to 325℉. Place 6 small custard cups, ramekins, or jars in a roasting pan.
- In a large saucepan combine sugar, water, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted. Increase heat to medium-high and cook without stirring until melted sugar boils and turns a dark amber color. Take pan off heat and carefully whisk in cream and milk. If sugar seizes, place back on heat and stir until dissolved.
- Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla. Divide custard between ramekins and place roasting pan in oven. Pour hot but not boiling water into the pan to come ⅔ of the way up sides of ramekins. Bake until set but still slightly jiggly in center, 40-45 minutes.
- Take ramekins out of hot water immediately, let cool completely at room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled, 2 hours.
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer with the whisk combine cream and sugar. Beat on medium speed until cream is softly whipped.
- To serve, sprinkle custards with salt, and top with small spoonfuls of whipped cream.